Guidelines to Help Ensure Safety and Infection Prevention
- All toys and stuffed animals must be new and unwrapped.
- Handmade items, like blankets and scarves, must be washed before delivery in an allergen free detergent and come from a smoke-free environment. Email firstname.lastname@example.org with any specific questions about handmade donations.
- Recommended age labeling should be used as a guide. Read safety messages on packaging.
- Toys must be non-toxic.
- Toys promoting violence are not appropriate.
- Toys must be sturdy. Avoid toys that can break, leaving sharp edges.
- Toys with numerous small parts that require close supervision are not appropriate.
- Fire regulations prohibit electrical, spark-producing or friction-producing toys.
- DVD’s must be rated G, PG or PG-13.
- Arts and Crafts kits should not include glitter.
- Rubber/latex balloons are not allowed inside the hospitals.
Gift List Ideas
|Infants and toddlers||Rattles and squeeze toys, stackable rings, sound and light soothers, gym mats, Crib Activity Center, musical crib mobile (no cloth) with bed rail clamp, music boxes, Click’n Chatter Telephone, Baby Einstein DVD’s and toys, Baby’s First Blocks and Play Gym, non-breakable infant crib mirrors that clip onto a rail, pop-up toys, Fisher Price Little People, plastic links to hang rattles on crib, plain “onesies” (clothing item), teething rings (no cloth), toys that light up or make noise, and batteries.|
|Preschool-age||Play-Doh, Lego Duplo Blocks, Little Tykes toys, touch books, Baby Einstein products, blowing bubbles, Fisher Price play medical kit, cars and trucks, non-toxic paint/brushes, plastic cars and animals, plastic food, Mr. Potato Head, Big Wheels, coloring books, big crayons, clothing items (underwear, socks, t-shirts, sweatshirts, sweatpants, etc.), and batteries.|
|School-age||Legos, Barbie’s, markers, puzzles, Magna Doodle, Games: Monopoly Junior, Sorry, Connect Four, Guess Who, LIFE, Trouble, Apples to Apples, Checkers, small trucks, Crayola art kits, coloring books and crayons, jewelry kits with beads, G & PG DVD’s, action figures, superhero toys, hand held games, Wii games, PlayStation 3 & 4 games, Xbox 360 & ONE games, Nintendo DS & 3DS games, non-toxic paint/brushes, “I Spy” books, harmonicas, clothing items (underwear, socks, t-shirts, sweatshirts, sweatpants, etc.), and batteries.|
|Adolescents||Gift cards (iTunes, Target, Wal-Mart), Loom bracelet kits and extra rubber band packs, large-sized blankets, card games (UNO, Scrabble Slam, Monopoly Deal), Jenga, Taboo, Scattegories, Rummikub, playing cards, model kits, craft kits (no sand), plastic picture frames for decorating, sharpies, decorative duct tape, non-toxic paint/paint brushes, canvases, sketch pads, drawing & charcoal pencils, word search and crossword puzzles, hair accessories, PG-13 DVD’s, handheld games, cosmetics (hand lotion, body sponges, soaps), journals, NERF footballs and other sport balls, sports equipment, nail polish, Wii boy/girl games, PlayStation 3 & 4 boy/girl games, Xbox 360 & ONE boy/girl games, Nintendo DS & 3DS boy/girl games, phone chargers (iPhone, Android, Samsung), clothing items (underwear, socks, t-shirts, sweatshirts, sweatpants, etc.), and batteries.|